Smith Patrick CPAs is helping offer opportunities to diverse students. The St. Louis-based firm has been selected by the AICPA as a co-sponsor of the George Willie Ethnically Diverse Student Scholarship & Internship Program.
Growing Diversity in Accounting
Smith Patrick is one of 10 firms that was selected by AICPA’s Private Company Practice Section (PCPS) to sponsor a student during the 2023 busy season (January to April). This scholarship and internship program will benefit 10 ethnically diverse students pursuing an accounting degree with up to $10,000 towards tuition.
The program honors George Willie, former chair of the PCPS Executive Committee and AICPA Minority Initiatives Committee. Willie has spent his career supporting students and young professionals pursuing their CPA designation.
“Growing our profession and helping students is a win-win. We know how important hands-on experience is to a successful career, and we want to help diverse students learn and make the workplace more inclusive,” said David Smith, president & CEO of Smith Patrick CPA. “We look forward to sponsoring the scholarship winner next spring.”
AICPA (American Institute of CPAs) is the world’s largest member association representing the accounting profession. Smith Patrick is an AICPA member as well as a Missouri Society of CPAs member.
Student Scholarship Program Requirements
The program is open to ethnic minority students pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting or an accounting-related major and who plan to sit for the CPA exam.
Eligible applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Plan to pursue the CPA credential
- Minority student of Black or African American; Hispanic or Latino; Native American or Alaska Native; Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander; Multiethnic or Asian American
- Enrolled on a full-time basis and plan to remain enrolled full-time for the upcoming academic year
- Completed at least 120 hours of course work and have 30 hours or fewer of upper-level accounting courses remaining prior to the upcoming academic year (working toward completing the 150-hour credit requirement for CPA licensure)
- Availability for an internship during the 2022 busy season (January – April)
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green card holder)
- Be an AICPA Student Affiliate member (or have submitted a new member application).
Upcoming student scholarship details will be available in spring 2022 by AICPA.
To check out our other articles on business topics, click here.